Gastric Balloon System
The Obalon Gastric Balloon is the first ever FDA-approved, swallowable balloon system for weight loss. Similar to bariatric surgery, gastric balloons help patients lose weight by preventing overeating. The Obalon Gastric Balloon System is a non-surgical, convenient and effective weight loss treatment that can help you shed weight by supporting your diet and exercise efforts.
What is the Obalon Gastric Balloon System?
The Obalon Gastric Balloon System is a non-surgical 3-Balloon weight loss system, and the first ever swallowable gastric balloon treatment for weight loss. This six-month program supports weight loss in patients, who are following an average intensity nutrition and exercise program. Obalon Balloons are designed to maintain space in your stomach, which promotes healthy eating portions for sustainable weight loss.
Patients who undergo the Obalon Gastric Balloon System will feel full from fewer calories, with prolonged feelings of fullness between meals, leading to transformative weight loss, especially alongside positive lifestyle changes. During your 6 month Obalon Gastric Balloon treatment the weight loss experts at Long Island Obesity Surgery will support you in your weight loss journey by monitoring your progress and providing continual support along with a medically supervised nutrition and exercise program, tailored to your unique needs.
How Does the Obalon Gastric Balloon System Work?
The Obalon Balloon System uses three swallowable, lightweight balloons that are gradually introduced into your stomach over a three month period.
After the first balloon has been swallowed and inflated, the second will follow three weeks later. The final balloon will be placed nine weeks after the first. The gradual scheduling allows for a much more gentle reduction in the amount of food that can be consumed, which will help support a healthy and maintainable weight loss.
The balloon placement is done in the convenience of our office, taking less than 10 minutes each. Once the capsule is swallowed the deflated balloon is inflated using an attached micro-catheter, in a quick and painless process. There is no need for anesthesia or down time, and you can move forward with your usual activities as soon as your appointment is over.
When are the Obalon Balloons removed?
Six months after your Obalon Gastric Balloon treatment, all three balloons will be deflated and removed in one convenient appointment. The removal of the balloons is a simple endoscopic procedure, which typically takes no longer than 15 minutes. During the removal, we will use a small tube with a camera to find and deflate the balloons in a one-by-one process. The removal is performed using light sedation. Following the removal of the balloons, the experts at Long island Obesity Surgery continue monitoring your progress while providing continual support along with a medically supervised nutrition and exercise program, to help you maintain this lifestyle change.
What are the Benefits of Choosing the Obalon Gastric Balloon System?
An increasing number of patients are turning to the Obalon Gastric Balloon System to support their weight loss goals. Some of the key benefits of the Obalon Gastric Balloon System include:
- Non-surgical treatment. The placement of the Obalon Gastric Balloon requires no down-time or need for anesthesia. The Obalon Gastric Balloon is a great option for patients who do not qualify or are not ready to commit to a permanent bariatric surgery.
- Fast placement. The placements and inflation of the Obalon Balloons takes less than 10 minutes.
- No recovery period. Patients can get back to living their lives without needing to take time off for recovery, allowing them to adhere to exercise routines, for more rapid weight loss.
- Fully-reversible treatment. The Obalon Balloon System is removed at the end of the 6 month period, meaning that there is no long-term effect on your digestive system.
- Swallowable capsule. Starting your Obalon journey is as easy as swallowing a pill. Unlike other gastric balloons, the Obalon Gastric Balloon is the first of its kind, as the only swallowable, pill-form gastric balloon.
- Medically supervised nutritional program. During your Obalon Gastric Balloon treatment, our weight loss professionals help patients safely lose weight by providing a medically supervised nutrition program, ensuring that patients lose weight without developing vitamin or nutritional deficiencies.
- Successful in producing long-lasting results. Studies show that an average of 89% of weight loss is maintained one year after the treatment.
Who is a Candidate for the Obalon Balloon System?
Candidacy for the Obalon Balloon System will depend on your health conditions and weight loss goals. The ideal candidate for the Obalon Balloon System is 22 years of age or older with a body mass index of 30-40. The Obalon Balloon System works best in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise routine. Therefore, patients will need to commit to developing and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Are you ready to determine your candidacy for the Obalon Balloon System and get on track to a healthier and happier life? With more than a decade of bariatric surgery experience, Dr. David Buchin has the knowledge and expertise to help you find the right treatment for your weight loss goals.
Contact Long Island Obesity Surgery to schedule your weight loss consultation, and learn more about the Obalon Balloon System today at 631-351-2024.